I really love Fall. And everything that comes along with it. The changing colors of the leaves, pumpkins, cool weather, and BUTTERNUT SQUASH!
I have been experimenting with “cheese” sauces lately, since it is that comfort food that everyone loves. I have grown to really love nutritional yeast, as it has that “cheesy” flavor. I tried a nutritional yeast and bell pepper based sauce that was really good (recipe to come!). So I figured a butternut squash and nutritional yeast based recipe would be equally as delicious and very “fall” tasting! And it was!
I based this recipe off of Oh She Glows Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze recipe.
- 1/2 small butternut squash, peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tbsp wheat flour (to thicken sauce)
- 10 or so (to taste) tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- black pepper, to taste
- pasta of choice (this time, I used a veggie rotini pasta)
– Preheat oven to 425F. Place chopped butternut squash on pan to bake. Sprinkle with water to wet the butternut squash so it does not stick. Roast for about 40 minutes or so uncovered.
– Put olive oil in pot over low heat. Mix in milk & flour until there are no clumps. Mix in nutritional yeast, Dijon, garlic, pepper and stir over low heat for about 5 minutes
– Once the butternut squash is done roasting, blend sauce and butternut squash together in a blender.
– Mix sauce & pasta
– Eat up!
Does anyone else have any GREAT butternut squash recipes to share? I have a whole other half of this butternut squash and of course I want to try something new and tasty!
I hope everyone is enjoying the beautiful fall weather!