I wanted to share with you guys a vegan sloppy joe veggie burger that I have been making lately-and can’t get enough of! I adapted it from another veggie burger recipe I found online. The one I found online was full of ingredients and I just wanted to use what I had on-hand—and it was delicious and it stuck so I now make it once a week at least! And it doesn’t require too many ingredients or anything fancy. Here we go! 🙂
You will need:
- 4 tablespoons of hickory BBQ sauce of your choice
- 1 15oz. can of Organic Black beans (find some without sodium chloride in it)
- 2 cups of cooked brown rice (I use Lundberg Long Grain Brown-it’s organic and gluten free–first image above)
- or 1.5-2 cups of cooked Quinoa (second image above)
- 1 tablespoon of oats
- a handfull of chopped onion (I like a lot of onion crunch and flavor so use to your liking)
- 1 teaspoon of Chili Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of Ground Cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt (I use Alessi)
- A splash of organic vegetable stock/broth to grill in.
- Avocado, tomato, lettuce, sprouts, whatever fixins you like 🙂
- Sprouted Wheat bun (I use Alvarado St. or Ezekiel Bread)
Cook your brown rice. This particular brown rice takes 50 minutes to cook, so allow time for that. beyond this, its quick!
In a large bowl, mash beans. Stir in 3 tablespoons of the barbecue sauce-reserve some for brushing. Now stir in the remaining ingredients. This will be a yummy sloppy mushy mess. Now instead of forming into patties-bc it’s too sloppy to do so-just scoop whatever amount that you want per burger into a frying pan with vegetable broth. Cook it for about 2-4 minutes flipping it around. Brush on some BBQ sauce as you move it around in the pan cooking it. Once finished, slop it onto a bun and top with fresh avocado, tomato, lettuce, sprouts and all the fixin’s that you like!
Enjoy and let me know if you like it or have suggestions! Also, I’ve decided that since this recipe doesn’t really mimic sloppy Joes, (it’s just sloppy) and because I personally do not know this “Joe”, that I’m renaming them “Sloppy Jasons”-bc Jason is my husband and I know him! 🙂